Aug 7, 2006

Sailboat racing in Gig Harbor

Departure: 1:00pm
Return: 4:00pm
Weather conditions: Partly Cloudy and breezy
Tide: Flow. Tide was from very low to very high
Boat: Club Boat
Crew: 4 (Woody, Sophia & Dave, Paul, Chuck and Susan?)

I wish I had the skill and time to do these experiences justice. The last club sail was a blast! There were six of us who showed up including the instructor. We took out both club boats, laid out a course, and raced. We kept to the harbor since there were plenty of obstacles to use in our course.

This was the first time I'd ever raced, and it made me nervous. I'm not a competitive person or maybe I'm ultra competitive. The result is the same, I don't like competing. But, I have to admit racing sailboats was pretty fun. It's competition, but not "in-your-face" competition. The captain can determine the level of intensity and unhappiness.

Sophia, Dave and myself took to one boat, Chuck, Susan and Paul to the other. We won all but one of the races, but it wasn't really fair. Our sail was bigger than theirs.

All in all, a great day sailing.

No comments: