Aug 26, 2005

Visiting Lady Washington

We had a neat opportunity today. Lady Washington, the replica of a 1790's sailing merchant vessage, visited Gig Harbor. This is the ship that was used in the movie Pirates of the Carribean as The Interceptor.


It was a fun and interesting visit. I think the kids liked it as well. These ships aren't nearly as big as one thinks they are. Apparently the old merchant sailors were left to fend for themselves in the cargo hold; no galley, no crew's quarters. They made beds where they could, and ate salted meat and hard tack. Or something like that. I'm glad I'm a modern day sailor. I've included a couple of pictures of the ship.

As "luck" would have it, it would have been a great day for us to be out and about. We plan on a family sailing trip tomorrow. We're going to swing past the "Lady" and then head out into the sound.

I'll post more if we survive.

No comments: